What else is important in garnishment proceedings? Who can help me?
You may need to consult an attorney for help. However, an attorney may not file garnishments in small claims cases. When you are suing someone for $3,000 or less, your case can be heard in Small Claims Court. Small claims court is a division of the district court. Your case may be heard by a judge or a magistrate.

In small claims cases, the parties represent themselves. You cannot have an attorney present your case. In addition, the judge's decision is final and cannot be appealed. If either party objects to these conditions, the case will be transferred to the district court for a hearing.

If you are the one filing the case, you are called the plaintiff, and the person or business you are suing is called the defendant. Small claims cases should be filed either in the county where the cause of action arose or in the county where the defendant resides or is employed.

To start the case, the plaintiff must file an "affidavit and claim form" with the clerk of the small claims court. This form is available from the small claims court. The cost of filing your lawsuit in Small Claims court is $17 for claims up to $600, and $32.00 for claims from $600 to $3,000.

Show All Answers

1. How does one file for divorce?
2. When is a divorce granted?
3. Do you need an attorney to represent you in a divorce case?
4. What are alimonies and money judgements?
5. What is the garnishment proceeding in divorce cases?
6. What else is important in garnishment proceedings? Who can help me?
7. What is the process of mediation in divorce cases?