According to studies conducted by the Centers for Disease Control, "Tobacco use is the single most preventable cause of death and disease, causing approximately 440,000 deaths annually in the United States. Smoking is a major risk factor for cancer, heart, and lung disease. For every one person who dies of a smoking-attributable disease, there are 20 more people who are suffering with at least one serious illness from smoking."
What We Do
- Serve as a referral source and clearinghouse for the community regarding tobacco use issues.
- Provide information on programs and services such as smoking cessation, quit tips and assist with insurance questions.
- Provide tobacco education and program through presentations, displays, and meetings.
- Serve as a data source for information regarding smoking statistics, smoke free legislative information, and smoke free rental housing options.
- Provide current information regarding laws, policies, and tobacco education campaigns at the national, state and local levels to groups and individuals.
Agency / Organization Information
See a listing of agencies and organizations geared toward the goal of tobacco reduction.
Coronavirus and Smoking
- Smoking or vaping may increase the risk of a severe coronavirus infection by Tanya Lewis. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/smoking-or-vaping-may-increase-the-risk-of-a-severe-coronavirus-infection1/?amp
- FAQs - Coronavirus and Smoking from Quit Victoria: https://www.quit.org.au/articles/faqs-coronavirus-covid-19-and-smoking/
- Analysis of factors associated with disease outcomes in hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus disease. Liu, Wei; Tao, Zhao-Wu; Lei, Wang, et al. Chinese Medical Journal: February 28, 2020 - Volume https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32118640 A history of smoking was found to be one of the factors for the progression of COVID-19 pneumonia.
- Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids Press Statement on COVID-19 and Smoking/Vaping https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/press-releases/2020_03_20_covid-19
- Smokers at Higher Risk of Severe COVID-19 During Coronavirus Outbreak – Forbes https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/03/23/smokers-at-higher-risk-of-severe--covid-19-during-coronavirus-outbreak/#d3b730a7638d
- https://tobacco.ucsf.edu/reduce-your-risk-serious-lung-disease-caused-corona-virus-quitting-smoking-and-vaping - Stanton Glantz article
Vaping articles and information
Get the Facts about Electronic Cigarettes from the CDC
Truth Campaign: Ecigarettes - Facts, Stats and Regulations
CDC "Know the RIsks" Campaign