Recent COVID-19 data indicates an ongoing, upward trajectory in documented cases and positivity rates within the last 14 days in Jackson County. As a result of this increase, and the guidelines set forth by the Supreme Court, Jackson County Courts are required to revert to Phase 2 operations with restrictive conditions for in-person services, until further notice. The following courts and departments are affected by this Phase change:
4th Circuit Court, 12th District Court, Probate Court, County Clerk, Prosecuting Attorney and Friend of the Court.
For the general public, this means:
1. Court offices will not be open to serve the general public on a ‘walk-in’ basis.
2. Most court hearings will be conducted virtually via Zoom. Instructions can be found online at https://www.mijackson.org/.../COVID-19-Courthouse... and will be provided to all parties along with their notice or by calling the court. If you have an attorney and you are uncertain about whether you should appear in person or how to appear remotely, contact your attorney immediately.
3. Individuals will be allowed into the courthouse only under specific conditions. Unless you are noticed to appear in-person for a specific hearing or appointment with court staff, the general public will not be admitted into the courts’ facilities.
4. County Clerk services that will remain in-person are New Concealed Pistol License, Marriage Licenses and Notary Public.
5. Everyone entering the courthouse will be required to complete a health screening and must wear a mask at all times while in the courthouse.
6. Many services at the courthouse can be conducted remotely.
Candidates interested in filing for the Jackson County Intermediate School District positions must call 517-768-6759 before attempting to file in person to set up an appointment. Candidate’s original Affidavit of Identity and completed original Petitions or Filing Fee can also be submitted via postal mail to: Jackson County Courthouse, Elections Director, 312 S. Jackson St., Jackson, MI 49201. The nonrefundable $100 filing fee can be paid by check through the mail made out to Jackson County Clerk or by credit card over the phone with an additional processing fee. Filings must be received by 4pm on May 10, 2021.
For more information on court hearings, services and emergency filings, please call:
Circuit Court cases /County Clerk: 517-788-4268
County Clerk Vitals: 517-788-4265
District Court cases: 517-788-4260
Probate Court cases: 517-788-4290
District Court on-line services: www.d12.com
County Clerk on-line services: https://www.mijackson.org/294/County-Clerk
Jackson County Public Defender’s office: 517-768-6842
Friend of the Court: 517-788-4470; https://www.co.jackson.mi.us/482/Friend-of-the-Court
Election’s office: 517-768-6759